Inspiredby Nature'sPerfect Design, the Forest Lodge is a masterpiece of sophisticated contemporary design reflecting the breathtaking natural beauty of the surrounding landscape. The clean lines, high ceilings and large windows frame and accentuate the incredible sweeping views across the rolling hills of fynbos and the whale sanctuary of Walker Bay beyond.
The main lodge features a variety of elegant dining venues, a bar, lounge, curio shop and conference centre. Spacious wooden decks and an infinity pool beckon you to relax, unwind and enjoy the soothing tranquility. As the evening descends, cosy fireplaces and subtle lighting create a warm, romantic atmosphere for the perfect dining experience.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to Availability
1 Bedroom Luxury Suite Single
|01 May 2019 - 15 Jul 2019||R8 265|
|16 Jul 2019 - 15 Dec 2019||R11 375|
|16 Dec 2019 - 10 Jan 2020||R12 815|
|11 Jan 2020 - 30 Apr 2020||R11 375|
|1 May 2020 - 15 Jul 2020||R9 070|
|16 Jul 2020 - 15 Dec 2020||R12 455|
|16 Dec 2020 - 10 Jan 2021||R13 895|
|11 Jan 2021 - 30 Apr 2021||R12 455|
|1 Bedroom Luxury Suite Per Adult Sharing|
|01 May 2019 - 15 Jul 2019||R5 510|
|16 Jul 2019 - 15 Dec 2019||R7 585|
|16 Dec 2019 - 10 Jan 2020||R8 544|
|11 Jan 2020 - 30 Apr 2020||R7 585|
|1 May 2020 - 15 Jul 2020||R6 050|
|16 Jul 2020 - 15 Dec 2020||R8 305|
|16 Dec 2020 - 10 Jan 2021||R9 265|
|11 Jan 2021 - 30 Apr 2021||R8 305|
|Children 12-16 yrs|
|01 May 2019 - 15 Jul 2019||R2 315|
|16 Jul 2019 - 15 Dec 2019||R3 175|
|16 Dec 2019 - 10 Jan 2020||R3 770|
|11 Jan 2020 - 30 Apr 2020||R3 175|
|1 May 2020 - 15 Jul 2020||R2 535|
|16 Jul 2020 - 15 Dec 2020||R3 475|
|16 Dec 2020 - 10 Jan 2021||R4 130|
|11 Jan 2021 - 30 Apr 2021||R3 475|
- Terms | Conditions
Our collection of curated experiences at Grootbos is inspired by our pristine surroundings and has conservation and community at its core.
We’re known for our unique botanical safaris on board an open-top Land Rover, where you’ll learn from our hugely knowledgeable guides about the incredible birds, plants and animals in this floral kingdom. Be still, absorb the world around you and delight afresh in its wonder.
Thrilling, awe-inspiring and unforgettable – shark cage diving is an experience that will stay with you for years to come. Face up to these graceful predators as you learn more about our underwater world in a safe and environmentally responsible way.
Get into better rhythm with nature as you traverse this landscape in a very natural way. With our own stables on the reserve, you can see Grootbos as either a beginner or expert rider, as you trot slowly through the fynbos or ride on the beach.
Whale watching in this unspoilt natural environment is an almost spiritual experience, which is why people from around the world flock to Walker Bay in the Western Cape every year to do so. Spot Southern Right Whales on either land-based or boat-based excursions or take a flight for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Stanford River Cruise
Set out on the Lady Stanford, an exclusive luxury boat cruise down the Klein River from Stanford Village towards the Hermanus Estuary and back.
Walks or hikes in and around Grootbos are one of the best ways to truly immerse yourself in the Cape Floral Kingdom, as you breathe the fresh air and drink in the crystal clear views. Take a guided walk or head out yourself as you gaze at bursts of fynbos colour.
Get ready to peddle your heart out on an exciting Fatbike Tour as you make your way through beautiful nature reserves, over vast sand dunes and along the stunning Walker Bay coastline
Suit up and get ready for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Visit active beehives under the guidance of our experienced beekeeper and learn the important role bees play in our environment and how delicate their ecosystem is.
The rich chorus of birdsong that surrounds you at Grootbos tells you immediately that bird watching here will be extraordinary. Glimpse rare sightings on special guided walks or simply spot the beauty and colour as you walk around the lodge.
the Future Tours
Take a tour with heart as you discover how the entire Grootbos experience has been designed around benefitting the community and environment around you. Learn and connect as you witness how our various projects are changing lives and conserving this protected wilderness.
What better way to see this unique area than from the cockpit of a small plane? Special windows make the plane you’re in a photographer’s dream while seasoned pilots and our own airstrip ensure that your trip is safe, enjoyable and convenient.
Tip of Africa Tour
This unique tour to the southernmost tip of our continent is an outing packed with vivid story telling, unique experiences and the chance to learn more about the people and places that call it home.
With some of the most pristine beaches in the world, we can offer you everything from solitary walks along the water’s edge, historical cave tours led by our guides, sun tanning with whales in front of you, or snacking on a picnic as the sun goes down.
Bring your sense of adventure and explore your surroundings in a fun, heart- pumping way as you traverse mountains, valleys and forests by quad bike. Excellent guides and a relaxed pace make for a safe and immersive outing, while the stunning scenery adds to the whole experience.
Mother Nature is at the
centre of your experience at Forest Lodge, whether it’s
glimpsed in the botanical inspired tones of the decor, the curved lines
of the roof or the way the expansive windows frame each natural
masterpiece. Bask in the dappled light and unwind in this contemporary
and stylish architectural haven.
Wind your way through our ancient Milkwood forest as you walk between your opulent suite and the lodge itself, and you’ll feel serenity settle over you like a delicate mist. With its clean lines, elegant ceilings and expansive windows, Forest Lodge is the place you retreat to for blissful contemplation or for connecting with yourself or nature.
Ideal for romance with large bathrooms, cosy fireplaces and views of the sun setting
A luxurious canopy bed with private, untouched forest and ocean vistas
An outdoor shower, private wooden deck and separate lounge
A stay at Forest Lodge is the ultimate way to restore, destress and reconnect. Fling open the doors and let nature flood in, relax on your private wooden deck, or listen to the distant sounds of the ocean, as you feel the rest of the world melt away.
Every free standing suite is exquisitely furnished in soft natural palettes with furnishings that ooze indulgence
- Ideal for romance with large bathrooms, cosy fireplaces and views of the sun setting
- A luxurious canopy bed with private, untouched forest and ocean vistas
- An outdoor shower, private wooden deck and separate lounge
- Suite Size from 85 – 90 m2
- Beds Spacious bedroom with en-suite
- Occupancy 2 Adults
- Views Sea facing
- Master bathroom Bath and rain shower
- Additional bathroom With shower and toilet
- Private deck with panoramic sea views
- Lounge with cosy fireplace
- Underfloor heating
- Air conditioner
- Satellite TV (selected channels) and DVD player
- Mini bar
- Tea & coffee making facilities
- Our signature Just Pure guest toiletries
- Secure safe
- Gowns and slippers
- Pool bag with pool towels
- Hair dryer
Cuisine - Culinary Delights
Knowing that our guests have enjoyed an active day in the fresh air and coastal surroundings is the encouragement we need at Grootbos to motivate our five-star dining experience. We aim to provide the best possible relaxation and most enjoyable experiences for guests at our two restaurants set in the peace and tranquillity of Grootbos Nature Reserve. You will experience a fusion of culinary delights as well as an unforgettable combination of hospitality, friendship and professionalism while marvelling at the ever changing views over Walker Bay.
Spa Treatments @ Grootbos Bloom Salon
As the day draws to a close, your head is swimming with new and exciting thoughts of the day’s adventures. Your limbs are heavy and weary. It is time to tip-toe into a slower world where the mind can drift away on the vapors of luxurious scents such as sandalwood, arnica and buchu, while your body melts under the soothing touch of our fully qualified beauty therapist. Pampering takes place in the comfort of your own suite or in our recently opened Bloom Salon. For the tired body, a therapeutic full body massage is a definite must, leaving you in a state of absolute calmness. For the weary feet, reflexology, including a footbath, will most certainly do the trick. Manicures, pedicures, facials and a host of other treatments are available as well.
Grootbos Private Nature Reserve in Gansbaai offers the perfect venue for conferencing and events. We specialize in conference groups from 10-60 delegates and are not open to non-resident guests. The tranquil environment away from the hectic city lends itself to a creative and productive getaway. The 1700-hectare reserve is situated on the hills overlooking Walker Bay with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and the distant Cape of Good Hope and Overberg.
Guided walks and 4x4 drives through the reserve
- 1-2 hour guided walks through the ancient Milkwood Forests.
- 1-2 hour guided horse rides through the reserve
- Guided excursions to the Klipgat Cave, one of the most important archaeological sites in South Africa
- Guided trip along the nearby coast to view the whales and other marine life(June to December)
- Opportunities to explore sandy beaches, swim in sheltered bays and picnic on the beach
- Bird-watching; experience a great variety of bird species on the reserve
- Boat-trips to Dyer Island to watch about 60.000 Cape Fur Seals, penguins, seabirds, the Great White Shark, dolphins and the Southern Right Whales (June to December)
- Shark cage diving
- Scenic Flights
- Rates are per person per night
- Children of all ages staying in their own bedroom, pay full adult rate.
- * Maximum 2 children on sleeper couch in lounge.
Room size: from 75 – 85 m2 ; Suite features a spacious bedroom with en-suite bathroom, separate lounge with tea & coffee making facilities, separate bathroom with toilet and shower, minibar, cosy fireplace, DVD player for in-room entertainment. The spacious suites open out onto a private outside deck with outside showers overlooking the Walker Bay. As with all One-Bedroom Luxury Suites at Forest Lodge, facilities such as a separate bath, shower and toilet, satellite TV, air conditioning and secure room safes are standard.
Lodges can be confirmed for travel dates between the 01st of October 2019 and 31 March 2021!
Forest Lodge accepts children over the age of 12 years
Notes: The adult sharing rate applies to a child (12-16 years) sharing with a single adult! Should three children (12-16) share one suite, the adult sharing rate applies to the first two children!
Rates are based on Full Board
- Accommodation in freestanding suites
- Welcome drink served upon arrival
- Fresh fruit daily in suite
- Breakfast buffet with full English breakfast menu
- Light lunch
- 5-course dinner
- Horse riding for non- and experienced riders through the reserve (please note that the weight limit is 90kg/198lbs per person/ children under the age of 12 are only allowed on guided pony rides)
- Guided Walks including fynbos nature tours and Milkwood walks
- Nature, marine & coastal drives and walks including the Walker Bay Nature Reserve, De Kelders cliff walk, KlipgatCave combined with seasonal land-based whale watching (whale watching especially during July – December)
- Bird-watching; experience a great variety of bird species on the reserve
- Various maps of the reserve and the area for self-guided walks
- Transfers to/from all activities
- All drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)
- Laundry and minibars
- Spa Treatments, whale watching boat trips, boat trips to Dyer Island, Shark Cage Diving, beach horse riding, scenic flights, quad biking, kayaking, wine tours
- Items of personal nature (telephone calls, items bought from the Grootbos Gallery)
We can arrange additional services and tours in advance or during the guest’s stay:
- Boat trip to Dyer Island combined with seasonal whale watching (July – December).
- Shark Cage Diving
- Scenic Flights
- Beach Horse Riding
- Quad Biking
- Day trip to Cape Agulhas, the most southern tip of Africa
- Shopping Excursions to Hermanus
- Wine tasting at a wine estate
- Golfing excursions
- Road and air transfers (own landing strip) from Cape Town
- Private Guide & Vehicle: R 3 570.00 per day (on request only)
- Shark Cage Diving, Whale Watching Boat Trip, Scenic Flights, Quad Biking, Beach Horse Riding, Wine Tours, Private Guides:
- Any cancellations within 7 days will incur a cancellation fee of 100%.
- Please note that Shark Cage Diving and Whale Watching Boat Trip do not operate on the 25th of December and 01st of January each year.
From Cape Town: Take the N2 from Cape Town, past the Airport to Somerset West. Either follow the N2 over Sir Lowry’s Pass turning on to the R43 after the Houhoek Pass, or take the R44 along the coast and turn onto the R43 to Hermanus. Drive through Hermanus, Grootbos is situated 13km past Stanford on the R43.
From the Garden Route: The N2 brings you west past Swellendam and Riviersonderend. 10km past Riviersonderend turn on to the R326 to Stanford. At Stanford turn left on to the R43. Grootbos is situated 13 km from Stanford on the R43.
Check in time is 14h00, but you are welcome to arrive at Grootbos anytime and make use of the facilities offered. Early arrivals are subject to availability and are charged at an additional cost.
Check out time on the day of departure is 11h00. Late departures are subject to availability and are charged at an additional cost. If we are unable to accommodate your request for a late check-out, we will gladly store your luggage whilst you enjoy your day at Grootbos Nature Reserve.
- Rates include VAT @ 15% and are quoted in SA Rand (subject to changes).
- Rates exclude Conservation Levy of until 30 Apr 2020 R100.00 - 1 May 2020 - 30 Apr 2021 R150.00 per adult per night.
- All reservations require a 25% deposit upon confirmation of the booking to be paid within 7 days. Grootbos reserves the right to cancel the booking should payment not be received.
- Final payment needs to be made 45 days prior to guests’ arrival. Grootbos reserves the right to cancel the booking should payment not be received.
- For last minute reservations, full payment is required upon confirmation!
- All requests, confirmations and cancellations only valid if in writing.
- Provisional bookings will only be held for 7 days as stated on the provisional confirmation; thereafter the booking will automatically be released.
- Rates are not guaranteed until the booking is confirmed.
- We strongly recommend a minimum stay of 2 nights throughout the year.
- No pets allowed.
- All suites are non-smoking.
- Forest Lodge accepts children over the age of 12 years.
- Garden Lodge accepts children of all ages.
The cancellation fee is a percentage of the full accommodation account.
- Up to 46 days prior to travel: 5% cancellation fees
- 45 – 21days prior to travel: 35% cancellation fees
- 20 – 0 days prior to travel: 95% cancellation fees
- An initial non-refundable deposit equal to one night’s accommodation and conservation levy to be paid upon confirmation.
- The balance of the payment is due by1st September 2019 &.1st September 2020
We strongly recommend to every guest to be adequately covered by comprehensive travel and medical insurance covering at least injury, death, medical costs, emergency evacuation, repatriation, loss of or damage to personal belongings (due to theft or otherwise) and cancellation.